Monday, August 8, 2011

Thrifty

Growing up, my family did a lot of shopping at thrift stores. We weren't poor, exactly - Just with two children and only one paycheck coming in, it made sense to shop secondhand so we'd have money for more important things. Like college.
Most of the things we'd buy were clothing, and I was always amazed at the difference in price between secondhand clothes and new. Even at a cheap department store like Kohl's or Sear's, new jeans ran anywhere from $20 to $40 a pair. Thrift stores held a huge supply of gently used, sometimes even new with tags, jeans in all styles and cuts, usually in the $2 to $4 range. Even allowing for a fewer number of wearings, it just made so much more sense to shop secondhand.
But most of my classmates didn't seem to understand this. To them, shopping at a thrift store was something dirty, poor people did. Apparently buying clothes new, wearing them a few times and then donating them was "better".
But when I was in high school, the economy went to hell and more people started realizing the benefits of buying used. Shopping at thrift stores become more socially acceptable, and even sort of vogue. I kept shopping at thrift stores for a few reasons.
1) My vegetarianism led into other areas, such as the plight of the environment. I realized that buying used not only kept stuff from ending up in landfills. but reduced the energy and resources needed to make new products.
2) Going to a department store, I'd see racks and racks with all the exact same piece of clothing, just in different sizes. I imagined dozens of girls my age all coming to this store and buying the same outfit, and everyone looking exactly the same. (Maybe they were practicing for when they joined a sorority?)
3) Again, the cost differential. The huge difference between buying new and used.
I bring this issue up because in a few weeks, I will be moving into my first apartment, which will be extensively furnished with secondhand items. I haven't made a tally of everything I've bought or how much I've saved, but just as a general idea -
100% cotton full size bed sheet - 75 cents.
Ice cube tray - 27 cents.
Hamilton Beach 10-speed blender - $8 (It works absolutely fine. This model retails for $29.99, by the way).
Shower curtain - $2
3 packs of incense and holder - $1
Large mixing bowl - 50 cents
It's worth mentioning most of my wardrobe, aside from socks, underwear, swimwear and shoes, is secondhand. Probably why I have so many clothes - Most of the items cost less than $4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment